A Brief History of MSS
Marymount, originally known as Holy Spirit School for girls, was founded by the Maryknoll Sisters. The school opened on 10th January, 1927 at Robinson Road with only 8 classes of students sharing 4 tiny classrooms. In 1930, the school moved to the building at 140 Caine Rd which provided 7 classrooms. By 1941 it offered a complete course of studies leading to matriculation. The schools was closed during the war. It reopened as Maryknoll School in 1948.
As the school continued to expand, a school building with improved facilities became accessory. In October 1957, the school move to is present location in happy Valley and was renamed marrying all sisters school. Initially, the building housed both secondary and primary school sections. It was not until 1961 at the primary school occupy the premises at a Tai Hang Road. During the school year 1978 -79, after 52 years of devoted surface, the married or sisters hand over the sponsorship of the school to the Columban sisters.
As of September 1983, the name of the school was changed to Marymount Secondary School and Marymount Primary School respectively. In 1993, to meet the needs of increasing student population in a secondary school, the Columban Sisters turned over to the use of the school the remaining convent area of the fourth floor.
In 1996, the Columban Sisters initiated the transfer of the sponsorship of the school to the Christian Life Community (CLC), the process of which was completed by September 1997. The CLC is an International Catholic lay community with a keen interest in education and commitment to the service of youth. The CLC has pledged to preserve the same school spirit, foster the traditions and continue to provide quality education at Marymount.
The Secondary School operated up to 29 classes with over 1000 students until 1998, offering acts, science and social disciplines up to Form 7. With the restructuring of the school, the total number of classes has been at 26 since September 2003. With a symmetrical structure of 4 classes at each level from S1 to S6 with the introduction of the New Senior Secondary Academic Structure in September 2009, the school has been operating 24 classes since September 2012.
The Primary School operates 24 classes and has about 900 students. Between September 2002 and July 2006, MPS took the temporary site at 22 Cloudview Road to allow for the reconstruction of the school building. Whole day school with additional rooms and improved facilities commenced in the new campus on Tai Hang Road in September 2006.
The School Improvement Project of MSS was completed at the same time. The lower levels of the new complex now house the Science Laboratories, Visual Arts Room, Gymnasium, Open Ball Court and other function rooms. Conversion works in the campus on Blue Pool Road have also made possible the provision of a Student Activity Centre as well as the relocation and refurbishment of other specials room in the Secondary School.